Sunday, September 5, 2010

We're canning what?!

Well, our friend Joan Abbey asked us if we wanted to join her when she was canning tuna. TUNA? Isn't that something you buy in cans at the store, hopefully when it goes on sale for two or three cans for a dollar? We agreed to try it and I must say it was great fun! We purchased 50 lbs of tuna (she actually got it and we paid her for it) and after cutting and cooking that turned into about 25 lbs. We cut tuna fillets and stuffed them into jars for about two hours. Then we put the little half pint jars into the canner and we were in for a wait.
It takes tuna 80 min. to can. We had our jars and Joan's jars and R.J.'s jars so we were there just about the whole day. Why is it that "work" seems to be fun when you are doing the work with friends? We were in Joan"s "little house" that is to the north of her big beautiful "lodge"
house. That is where they do their canning so that their nice house doesn't smell like fish all day! Even the dogs wanted to be there helping. I really did do more than just take pictures. Whenever my hands were clean, I became the canning event photographer! Speaking of clean hands . . . our hands smelled like tuna for days! Not the best fragrance for sure!
For lunch we had tuna sandwiches (with last years canned tuna) and I must say, I never want to eat store bought tuna again! I guess we are slowly learning the true meaning of Oregon "coastal living"! It was truly great fun....I can't wait for next year!

3 comments:

Katy said...

That's so awesome! Dang we miss you guys so much. Now I'm craving a good tuna sandwhich...mmmm

GlemserFamily said...

WAY COOL! I bet I'd love your homemade tuna! (Can't stand regular and I love sea food!)

rusty and julie thatcher said...

that is so awesome mom! when i come to visit we'll have to have a sandwich with it!